With the recent news of the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan, I know many of our hearts are heavy. Today's set is all about celebrating the incredibly rich culture of music made by Afghans and by the diaspora. It's a multi-genre set featuring classical and traditional Afghan music, Afghan pop, rock and hiphop, and even indie rock and pop by Afghan American artists. And yes, there will be some stunning rubab breakdowns and just use of rubab throughout many of the tracks.
Today's show is also about providing support and solidarity with the Afghan people with actions one can take, such as:
- Texting CRISIS to the number 52886 to send letters to your representatives. Pressure them to support Afghans and increase the number of Afghan refugees being let in!
- Donate to the city of Fremont's Afghan Refugee Help fund, which will be distributed to local Afghan orgs to help incoming Afghan refugees.
- KQED Article: How You Can Support the Afghan Community, in the Bay Area and Beyond
- Donating to the Jewish Family & Community Services East Bay who are helping resettle Afghan refugees here in the Bay Area (Amazon Wishlist)
- Buying items off the Lutheran Services Refugee Resettlement Amazon wishlist. They are helping resettle Afghan refugees in Virginia.
- Check out this list from Sahdya Darr, an Immigration Policy Manager at Refugee Education UK for other actions you can take <3